Military Discharge (DD-214)

Filing Your Military Discharge Certificate - DD-214 
After discharge from the military, veterans may place their military discharge certficate (Form DD-214) on file with the Clerk of the county in which they reside.

Free of Charge - First Copy

$1.00 - Additional Copies

Who May Request a Certified Copy of a DD-214 

Either the veteran or their heir if the veteran is deceased, may request a certified copy of their DD-214.

Requesting a Certified Copy 

If you would like to order a certified copy of your DD-214, you may do so in-person or in writing by email, fax, or mail. Your written request must be signed and include a copy of government-issued identification.

Veteran ID Card 

Since 2016, the Ingham County Clerk has offered a Veteran ID Card, so that veterans may prove their veteran status. Veterans may purchase a card in the Mason Office for $10.00 by presenting their military discharge certificate (DD-214). The fee covers the cost of the card and printing. 


Ingham County Department of Veterans Affairs:
Michigan Department of Miltary and Veterans Affairs:
United States Department of Veterans Affairs: